Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dhanam Music Review

Dhanam is an interesting sound track. It has the usual ambient ,soft melodies typical of 80s, with some relatively zingy orchestration. It is still short of expectations, but considering that i expected a low profile sound track from this movie, im kind of happy.

Esp the song katilukku - if you compare a very similar song in 90s in kumbakonam Gopalu , the same song would have been fast forward now , its not so in this case. The orchestration quite similar to kanave kalai kirathe ( yuvan , azhagai irukirathu ...) and that makes it very different and enjoyable too. But raaja doesn't give the same treatment to ulagam kidakkuththu , a boring 90s raaja song.

Dhanam Dhanam , Kooththu onnu are more than passable songs , with bits and pieces of orchestration and rythm making it wholly entertaining.

Illamai Kanavugal ,unakkul irukinren , kannanukku enna - all of them have a neat melody, effervesce orchestration , archaic phaselets , raaja stamp at various levels , but overall it is nice.

Good thing that i never hit the >> button in my player once in this sound track ! But Raaja sir , please give more , we want to hit the << button often !!

4 comments:

Vinodh said...

Ramki,

I am sure this movie would be hit once its released, i can feel from the trailer on TV, BGM's were amazing.

3 Songs have IR stamp
3 Other songs would go well along with the movie and crowd would enjoy this.

IR has always given beautiful numbers, he continues and will carry on this for ever in cinema.

Like you I also sincerely feel IR should compose more of private alumbs.

Ramki said...

Infact , i feel atleast he can release his BGMs, forget private albums.

Emjay said...

Ramki,

I have followed your posts in tfmpage as well for a long time. I guess you must be a great IR fan like me. I am not sure if you still hold the same opinion about Dhanam. Because, when I heard for the first time, it was not upto the expectations and standards that Raaja has set for himself, I felt.

But, I changed my mind after hearing 2-3 times. A gem lies in most of the songs. I couldn't appreciate Ulagam Kidakkuthu & Illamai Kanavugal, but rest all had IR stamp and I liked most of them.

I write about IR's music. Please visit http://7swara.blogspot.com when you have a chance.

Ramki said...

emjay,
Im a IR fan , but not to the level of the guys in yahoogroups or even in tfmpage.