Friday, October 03, 2008

Karthik Raaja

Karthik Raaja !

I think Suresh , Baradwaj , Karthik(itwofs) have written wonderful articles on their journey with Illayaraaja /ARR . I believe we have all ( ~25-30) would have grown with Raaja or ARR songs and hence definetly lot to write about ARR or Illayraaja .

For some reasons , i like Karthik raaja . May be , the very first time i heard that son of Illayraaja is composing , and beinga naive , emotional music listener at 14 , i wished Karthik Raaja deliver music that would push ARR to the bottom of charts , as at that time even a sneeze of ARR was becoming a hit . ( it is another story that i secretly enjoyed ARR music but put up a brave front before my friends that im a die haard fan of Raaja and that i don't hear ARR much ) . But Manikkam , Enakku Oru Magan Pirappan , Alexandar didn't do much ,except adding 5-6 songs to my likeable songs .

Then came Ullasam - it just blew me up and i started having some kind of unique liking to Karthik Raaja . It was not rehman , not Illayraaja , but a unique sound which i liked very much. Ullasam songs were a big hit and i went mad with that album , almost mentioning the name of album to everybody . Next started by search on dhinaa thanthi , dhina karan on the new films that come up and the music director for those films . I started searching *Raaja* in the names and it used to excite me to find a karthik raaja in the crew.

Another album which excited me was GRAHAN . The minute i heard in those hindi channels , i was just sucked to it . So much so , that after 8 years when i was working in delhi , i searched for Grahan soundtracks only to see a whimsical smile from the cassete shop owners . Till now , it remains one of my favourite albums that just remain hard wired in my mind . Esp kehte ke jisko , chum chum , Ye sochu ta

By then, yuvan gave a Aravindan , a good debut and i also started liking him (again hoping that he will push rehman down) . I started tracking each and every album of Karthik and Yuvan . At one phase i liked yuvan abit more , when he delievered Povellam Kettu paar , dheena and it just mingled with my college life so much .Yuvan dished out his career in his own way , his own hip hop, pop sounds that slowly became a big hit with Karthik .

Two albums which made my loyalties move to KR are Naam Iruvaar Namakku iruvar and kadhal Kadhaala . I was the first guy to buy Kadhala Kadhala in the saidapet cassete shop ( was in anna univ ) and just rushed back to hostel to listen to the sound tracks.Esp , Naam iruvar songs defined my freedom i got in my hostel days and my life just got interwined with it .

Karthik raaja made a couple of unforgettable outings like vaanchinaathan , which made me hate his music for aa short time . Again , when dumm dumm dumm , Ullam Kollai Poguthey came up , it was just candy -time for me .
It is difficult to say why you like a composer . You would ideally like to say ' i like songs and doesnt matter who the composer' , but somewhere the bias comes in !

Post-2001 , KR adopted an change in his compositions . He tried his best to maintain his original style at a time where even if you follow 30% of rehman's style , you are sure to find your numbers in the top 10 . Of course this resulted in KR giving scores which find a mention only in musicindiaonline . But i liked almost all of the scores that came after 2001 - atleast couple of numbers in each movie. My favorite songs of KR .Just hope that he gets good movies to score !

1. Indha Sirpinnai - Naam iruvar Namakku Iruvar
2. Konjum Manjal - Ullasam
3. Kehkte Jisko - Grahan
4.Kavithaigal Sollava - Ullam Kollai poguthey
5.Onnu rendu - Kudaikkul Mazhai
6.Oru Matram - Naalai
7.hei Unnidam- Chakravuyham
8.Kadhal VanOli - ALBUM
9.Sutrum Bhoombi - DUmm Dumm DUmm
10.Mein Cheese Badi - 16 December
11. Belli chandriudu - Hoo Anthiyaa HuHoo Anthiyaa
12.Oduthey Ooduthey - Ragasiyamai
13. EN Kadhali- Muruguga
14. Poo Vaithal - Kadhalai Kavurivukum Neram

8 comments:

Dinesh Scaran said...

yenpa ivalave kollai veri on ARR and his songs ? hahaha....

Anonymous said...

extra marks for the kaadhal vanoli mention. Picturisation sodhappal - chellame chellam became a hit - it was also sodhappal picturisation but had some standard elements which suceed. Kaadhal Vanoli is a fine composition that didnt get the airwaves it deserved. Pretty much the story of KR's life!

Ramki said...

dnesh ,
Kollai veriya !! No Way .
I only mentioned on my mental state in 1997 !

Raj ,
Yes - Kadhal Vanoli is my favourite . If you see the old tfmpage topics , KR's ALBUM had huge number of comments pouring in and i think lot of people echoed ur comments !

P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

Ramki - good that you picked to Karthik Raaja to write on. I still have a lot of hopes on this guy. He has immense talent only that he doesn't get right directors to tap them. Karthik Raaja always had a special place in my list of favourite composers. He is also very good at background scores.... his orchestration in the songs and background score 'Kudaikkul Mazhai' is of internation standards....I can keep going on and on about KR...

Vinith said...

:Adiye Kiliye: from Kudaikkul Mazhai is still in my playlist... One of the best songs... well orchestrated....
A spl mention to the background score of Kudaikkul Mazhai.... Wow...

Vinith said...

Forgot to mention,

Yuvan himself accepted the fact in a recent inteview that KR is more talented than he is. Just that KR hasn't got the chance to prove it.

Answers boss???? :)

Ramki said...

vinith ,
Adi kiliye is kind of 'obvious' nice song - something most people will like - but my fav is onnu rendu , the psychedillic , dark song !

Regarding the BGM , the first 1 1/2 hrs of the movie and the BGM is top class . I used to se teh first 1 hr daily for 1 month continously!

Ramki said...

Well , i can't comment on talent . I like both YSR and KR , with a soft corner for KR !